The cellar master, Johannes Becker, made a lucky find in a corner of the sprawling cellar: a lithographic stone dating back to 1902, used then to print labels. Unfortunately, this is the only lithographic stone that was discovered and therefore particularly valuable for the Bischöfliche Weingüter Trier.
That the Bischöfliche Weingüter Trier was established from the merger of three legendary properties can be immediately seen in the appearance. The logo combines since the vintage 2011 the coat of arms of all three wine estates and visually underscores the triad of the Bischöfliche Weingüter Trier.
Each quality level has its own label: Dom Collection, river Rieslings, village Rieslings, as well as single-vineyard Rieslings.
The design of the village and single-vineyard wines goes back to an historical lithography from 1902, which pays homage to Mosel wine during its heyday at the turn of the century. It was a period of time when many of the wines from the properties of Bischöfliche Weingüter Trier fetched higher prices than those for a famous Bordeaux château.
A Text from a Lithographic Stone Mirror-Inverted:
“1902 Dhroner Hofberger Fuder N° 47
Wachstum (“Growth of”): Bischöfliches Priesterseminar Trier"
Riesling wasn’t mentioned on the label. It was taken for granted that only Riesling could come from a top site.