Bischöfliche Konvikt (Episcopal Seminary) includes 37 hectars vineyards along all three rivers: Piesporter Goldtröpfchen and Avelsbacher on the Mosel, Ayler Kupp on the Saar, Eitelsbacher Marienholz and Kaseler Kehrnagel on the Ruwer. In Eitelsbach, Duisburger Hof, owned by Bischöfliches Konvikt, is still used as the press house for all the grapes harvested in the Mosel and Ruwer.
In 1806, Bishop Karl Mannay set up in an outbuilding school, which he later called a “little seminary.” Since the original building was insufficient to meet the influx of students, they founded in the early 19th century a private charity that should reflect “on means and ways to study for the church, also for impecunious boys.” This allowed the seminary to take 16 boys on Easter 1840.
The rectagular farm complex, flanked with towers, is situated on a stunning slope, west of the Ruwer River, between the villages of Ruwer and Eitelsbach. The southern hall, built in the 14th century, is now a branch of the diocese archive.Sculpture on the façade
of the Duisburger Hof. 1/5
The northern and eastern parts of the building are used as a press house for the cultivation of all the vineyards of the Bischöfliche Weingüter Trier along the Ruwer. Until the 16th century, the Duisburger Hof belonged to the von Schönberg family.Coat of arms above the entrance. 2/5
An old coat of arms above the entrance states that Hugo von Schönberg, canon of Trier, had the tower house modernized in 1571. In the 17th century, Archbishop Philipp Christoph von Sötern acquired the farm complex.Bishop Karl Mannay 3/5
His successor, Philipp Franz von Sötern, gave Duisburger Hof to the Cathedral of Trier, in whose possession it remained until secularization by the French under Napoleon. After some years in private ownership, the Endres family sold Duisburger Hof to the Bischöfliches Konvikt in 1866.4/5
With the merger of the vineyards of Bischöfliches Konvikt with Bischöfliches Priesterseminar and Hohe Domkirche, the northern and eastern part of Duisburger Hof was taken over by Bischöfliche Weingüter Trier in 1966.5/5