Hohe Domkirche (Cathedral of Trier) holds 27 ha of vines with 6 ha in the precious Scharzhofberger in the Saar region. All the grapes that are harvested on the Saar are pressed in the legenday old Scharzhof in Wiltingen.
The history of the Cathedral of Trier – the oldest church in Germany and the oldest cathedral north of the Alps – goes back to the beginnings of Christianity. Emperor Constantine, who granted the persecuted Christians religious freedom in the fourth century, erected under Bishop Agritius in the years 310 to 320 the first great basilica in Trier. The building was considered the largest church of the Roman Empire.
The history of the cathedral has been closely associated with winegrowing. Documents dating back to 1249 show members of the Archdiocese were freed of their religious duties during the harvest.
Scharzhofberg is one of the best vineyards in Germany. Since 1851, the Hohe Domkirche has owned the historical building on the Scharzhofstrasse. Few know that not only the wine but also that the history of Scharzhof is legendary and goes back to the 10th century.1/7
In 1030, Adalbero von Luxembourg, provost of St. Paulin in Trier, bequeathed to the monastery of St. Maria ad martyres (today’s youth club ExHaus) a good five Hufen, or oxgang, land. In 1239, ancient records mention for the first time a press house that belonged to the farm,2/7
which, however, was later torn down in 1905. In 1314, the monastery obtained four morgen of vineyards that were probably in Scharzhofberg. The Benedictine Abbey of St. Marien built today’s Scharzhof in 1719. In 1801, during the French secularization, Johann Jakob Koch, a member of the Benedictine convent,3/7
bought the property at auction in Luxembourg. He purchased it on behalf of his abbot Placidus Mannebach. Koch, who was an active priest in the parish of Wiltingen, married his housekeeper and drove off his former religious brothers out of the estate, which he kept for himself.5/7
The “Quereinhaus” and the other adjoining buildings were divided up after Koch’s death in 1829.6/7
The old Scharzhof was then sold by Clara Koch, who wanted to atone for her father’s breach of celibacy, to the Hohe Domkirche. The new part stayed in the possession of the family Müller-Koch, whom, to this day, uses it as a residence and winery.7/7