Hearty and gripping
The wine village Eitelsbach is named after the nearby tributary of the Ruwer. Records show that even the Romans and the Carthusian monks cultivated the Eitelsbacher vineyards from 1335 until 1803.
Eitelsbach was originally called Eisenbach, as they tried to win iron ore near the mouth of the Ruwer a long time ago. It is therefore not surprising that the slate hill has many veins of ore. At the points where the rock comes to the surface, it glows reddish and looks even a bit mysterious.
Bischöfliche Weingüter Trier farms 20.2 ha in the district of Eitelsbach
150–270 meters above sea level
Southeast to west
Slate with clay interspersed, often rich in iron and then of reddish color. In the best parcels of well-drained, deep soil with very good water supply.
The Eitelsbacher with southwest facing vineyards enjoy the warm climate of the lower run of the Ruwer; the plots benefit from today’s warmer growing seasons due to climate change
Racy, spicy, and wonderful juicy dry and off-dry quality wines (Qualitätswein) and Kabinetts that have a long aftertaste on the palate