Bischöfliche Weingüter Trier:
A Traditional Heritage
In 1966, with the merger of the three major wineries – Bischöfliches Konvikt (est. in 1840), Bischöfliches Priesterseminar (est. in 1773), and Hohe Domkirche (est. in 1851) – an estate was established that owns absolute prime vineyards: Bischöfliche Weingüter Trier.
Since its foundation, all three estates belonged to the Verband Deutscher Naturweinversteigerer (VDNV), known today as the VDP, or Verband Deutscher Prädikatsweingüter (Prädikat Wine Estates). As it was at that time forbidden for members of the auction circle to chaptalize quality wines, they decided to resign in 1971.